Thursday, June 12, 2014

Variation on Chunky Crocheted Basket

This week I took two tries at a new pattern: chunky crocheted basket!


My second attempt and I think it turned out very pretty and functional! 



 

I have always wanted to learn how to crochet a basket. I would always giggle seeing crocheted baskets on sale at Target or other home decor stores because I thought, "I could make something like that." Since I'm I between projects I found this cute pattern on (you guessed it!) Pinterest from Crochet in Color's blog.

Chunky Crochet Basket Pattern

http://crochetincolor.blogspot.ca/2012/02/chunky-crocheted-basket-pattern.html

I read the pattern and it called for the super bulky yarn I had just finished using on the afghan blanket I just finished (see previous post). Since I had some of the yarn left over I thought I'd give it a go. However, there were a few things this pattern called for that I didn't have: a size L or 8.00 mm hook. I had an N or 10.00mm and a K or 6.50mm hook. 

I also realized that I didn't have enough yarn because what the pattern asks you to do is to use two strands of the same color as once. 

If you have never used two strands of yarn at once it is really cool. You'll need a slightly bigger hook for it, but it yields results that give you a heathered look. The picture below is a shawl I started making I which I first used this technique. The yarn was red heart soft left over from a previous project and I used a K or 6.50mm hook.


Shawl I started making using two strands at once. A little tiresome for the hands, but pretty results. 


So I had some decisions to make since I didn't have enough yarn for two strands and I didn't have the right size hook. If you read in the pattern you need a smaller hook than the N (10.00mm) I had because the tighter stitch will give the basket the ability to hold shape and stand up stiffly. 

So what I concluded, I would use my super bulky yarn I had left over (Lion's Brand Thick and Quick) and use my K (6.50mm) hook since I was using only on strand. I didn't know if I'd have enough yarn to hold two and I didn't think a K hook could hold two super bulky yarns any way.

For my first try it turned out pretty good! It wasn't ask stiff which I concluded could be fixed with having multiple strands rather than the size of the hook. I rushed when I made the one above and added in a few stitches, but it still turned out pretty and functional.


My first go at it! I like the coloring of this basket too. This yarn is the super bulky lions brand thick and quick.



Since I gave the basket away, I was itching to try to pattern again, but this time I took a different approch. I didn't have enough of the super bulky yarn, so I picked up my cheap yarn.

I keep around a few skeins of cheap yarn like Caron's yarn by the pound. It's not the softest or the best colors, but I use it to practice new stitches or try out a little project. 

I picked up a dark red color, and a grey color I had along with my K (6.50mm) hook and started the pattern again.

Here is a link to the pattern: http://crochetincolor.blogspot.ca/2012/02/chunky-crocheted-basket-pattern.html
I do not want to copy and paste it because it is not my work. But I will share with you some of the changes I made.

What would soon be my new variation on the chunky basket.


For my basket (above) I went seven rounds for the base of the basket (one more than in the pattern) because I wanted a larger basket. Keep in mind, the larger the base of your basket, the longer it will take to make the side of the basket.

After round seven, follow the pattern (her round seven, my round eight).  I thought the way she described this round was interesting and I've interpreted it a few ways, but when I made these baskets I interpreted it as a back post stitch like I did in my previous afghan blanket. So that's what I did and it worked! 

I'm still not 100% certain that's what the pattern says, but it worked for me. I will caution you, that as you do this back post stitch and then start the next few rounds it doesn't look like a basket. It really isn't until you're about four rounds in that it takes shape so be patient. 

In the pattern she trades off with single crochets and half double crochets and works in the back loops (back post stitch). I didn't want to experiment with that yet so I just did a half double crochet all the way around. 

For the side of the basket I did twelve rounds before I made the handles. The handles in the pattern came out a bit smaller than I liked the first time I did the project so I made a few modifications again.

In the original pattern it says to chain 7 and skip 5 spaces. I chained 11 and skipped 9. I also had to do a little math because my basket is one round larger. So I took the number of stitches I had in a round (let's say 58), divided it by two giving you one side of your basket (58 divided by 2 is 29), then subtracted 9 (29 - 9 = 20) then divde that number by two (20 divided by 2 is 10). That's how many stitches I would do, then chain 11 skipping 9 spaces. 

So in the example above I would do 10 hdc, chain 11 skipping 9, hdc 20, chain 11, skip 9, hdc 10.

If I recall correctly my numbers didn't come out all the pretty, but it works more or less. I will probably always be making modifications and improving this pattern to my liking. 

The last thing I changed is in the original pattern she has you do another round after making the handles to make the handles more sturdy. I actually did another two rounds to make them extra sturdy and I think it turned out beautifully. 


I have to say I like the larger handles. 


Sorry if some of the pictures were dark, it's been rainy here, but I'm not complaining! Rainy days are the best days to crochet.

By the way, you may be asking, what do I do with this basket when I'm done? I keep it by my sofa and it's what the remotes and cell phones go into while we're watching a movie. I hate having to relocate cell phones and remotes during a movie at home - now they're all in one place!  

Leave me comments and questions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment